We frequently test alfalfa hay, grass hay, corn silage, mixed rations, supplements, and other feeds. If you need a hay test you’ve come to the right place.
NIR services for Alfalfa and Grass Hay
The fastest way to get your feed tested is one of our NIR packages. We can generally get results to you in a single business day.
- Our basic NIR package costs $16. This package includes moisture, protein (CP), fiber (ADF, NDF), calcium (Ca), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), and magnesium (Mg). The basic NIR is designed for straw, alfalfa, and grass hay. This package is suitable for most forage on beef cattle ranches. TDN and RFV are calculated.
- The NIR RFQ package is $18. It includes everything in the basic package and adds lignin, ash, fat, and fiber digestibility (dNDF48). These tests are required for us to calculate your RFQ number. This package is well suited for high producing dairy cattle. TDN, RFV, RFQ, and NEL are calculated.
- For Horses we recommend our NIR RFQ package with sugars and WSC for $20. If your horse is suffering from laminitis we recommend upgrading to the NIR RFQ with NSC (non-structural carbohydrates) for $30. The $30 includes a wet chemistry test on the total starch.
NIR Services for Corn Silage
- Our NIR TDN package costs $18 and includes moisture, protein (CP), fiber (ADF, NDF), calcium (Ca), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), magnesium (Mg), lignin, ash, fat, fiber digestibility (dNDF48), and starch.
- The NIR TDN Complete package includes everything in the TDN package above and adds titratable acidity and titrimetric lactic and acetic acid determinations. The NIR TDN Complete costs $23.75.
- Our NIR TDN with wet-chem Corn Silage Processing Score (CSPS) package costs $38 and includes the NIR TDN package. Silage with high CSPS is easier for animals to digest.
We have a full wet chem laboratory and can analyze any feed type using these methods. Wet chemistry is much more involved and typically takes 4-5 business days for our common packages. We run nitrates every day so these are typically finished in 1-2 business days. A wet chemistry analysis can be rushed for a fee.
When sampling hay you should get 20 hay cores per sample at one core per bale of hay… this amounts to a 1-gallon ziploc® bag halfway full.
We dry and grind all of our samples and typically store them for one year free of charge. If you want to add an analysis, simply contact us.
If all you need is Dry Matter we have a special service for that.
For our latest services and pricing see our services and pricing guide.
We have hay and soil probes which we rent out for $5/day. We provide sample bags if needed. For additional questions concerning sampling see our sampling guide.